I have to say that I feel very fortunate that I can get up early, go for a run in rolling hills of green (this time of year) and return to jump in a river to bath/cool off, followed by hunting my families field for fresh bananas and mangos. Life without electricity and running water can really bring out little joys and pleasures.
But it is interesting to note that Peruvian campo kids are just as obsessed with cell phones and technology as American youth. They constantly crave putting music on their phones and trade songs and games and pictures with their fancy phone technology. They have me beat, because my phone doesn't take pictures or upload music... which they find very distressing.
Otherwise I am enjoying my daily doses of cumbia music, dancing in my house, learning how to sweep up my dirt.... At first I thought throwing water on and sweeping dirt was counter-intuitive but I have learned the error of my thinking. Water keeps the dirt more solid, instead of dusty. Sweeping after you have thrown the water on the floor gets rid of the excess dirt and keeps your floor more solid and neat looking.
My puppy is looking good, the envy of many because he is so cute and healthy looking. However, it was difficult for me to argue when they told me he got sick because too many people were playing with him and joking around with him. Even more confusing when I was feeling sick and my host Dad asked me if I felt shy the other day when I was hanging out with people by myself... because obviously that would be the reason I wasn't feeling well. Oh how I love the illness theories here. It would make for a great anthropological study! Maybe in the future I'll look into it further. In the mean time I will keep you all updated on my ups and downs in health and health theories.
Did I mention the purchasing of animals to kill for birthdays? My host Dad's birthday came and went with the killing of a sheep (pictures soon to come on facebook). The sheep was eaten for the next few days, its organs and meat floating around the kitchen and its skull sitting in a bowl in the kitchen watching me. I have started to think about what animal I will buy to share with my family and friends for my birthday, but I feel they will laugh when I tell them I want to buy ducks because it is so small. But man do I love duck! Vegetarian gone wild.
Much love to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment