Hello friends and family,
In case you have forgotten, I am still a Peace Corps volunteer. Ya, I know, its supposed to be only 2 years. I guess I have decided to get my second degree in "volunteering" for the United States government because I have just received word that I will be extending as a volunteer for another year.... 4 years in total! I will explain that later on in the email.
This year, last January, I moved to the capital of Peru, Lima. My parents were appaled by Lima when they first visited because it was cloudy, overcast and cold. Supposedly, Lima is like that 8 - 10 months out of the year. This year, I was lucky (thanks global warming and El NiƱo phenomenon!) because "summer" extended for an extra month or so, and now "winter" seems to be ending sooner than ever. So, whether-wise, the city has not been treating me too badly.
My responsibilities, life style and pace of work changed dramatically when I came to Lima to be a "Peace Corps Volunteer Coordinator". First, I traveled with my boss, the boss of the environment program, to visit every volunteer we have in the field, a total of about 40. That meant spending a lot of time in buses and cars to travel all over the country. It was beautiful, and I felt lucky to get to see where all of our volunteers are serving. It helped me get a sense of their needs and realities, so as to better help them when they call for suggestions or advice. I really appreciated the opportunity to travel all over the country, but it also took a tole on me. I was up in extreme altitude one week, and then in the baking heat of the coast a week later. I ate out all the time and found myself with more stomach bugs in 4 months than I had encountered in previous 2 years! When we finally finished all the visits, I was exhausted and relieved and ready to settle into every-day office work. I quickly got settled into the idea of a work week and weekends, something I had never experienced before. You mean I get to relax on Saturday and Sunday?? Really? What a concept. Those days soon became my sacred time for me, resting, exploring and being with friends. After feeling like a family member of a 9 person family for the past two years, constantly surrounded by children, teenagers and people wondering about my health (are you fatter or thinner today? Where are you going? etc), it was an interesting and welcome change to be in charge or my schedule, diet and free time again. I felt like I was taking the necessary baby step into being a working adult, but not having to face the harsh realities of the English speaking, American lifestyle quite yet.
I've been blessed with the opportunity to learn a lot from the Peace Corps Peru office, including; improving my Spanish to a more professional level, reviewing and editing grants, planning, organizing and budgeting for events, translating documents and just being a peer support point person. Like I said, it has been like getting another degree! I am blessed to be in a position where I get to watch volunteers come up with good ideas and bring them to fruition. I have been more and more impressed with the creativity and ingenuity of the group of people that come to Peru to make change. It almost makes me want to do it again!
But I never forget that I am still in Peru. I still speak Spanish everyday, fight my way on to over-crowded buses, listen to cumbia and other popular Peruvian music, haggle every time I buy anything or get into a cab, and eat amazing Peruvian food. For all my complaints during my first two years about the diet, I no longer have a bad word to say about Peruvian food. When done correctly - and in Lima it usually is - Peruvian dishes are really spectacular and I have no complaints. I have been learning from friends how to prepare certain dishes and will be happy to make them when I am home.
I have also been back to visit my host family in Lambayeque 3 times this year. Each time they welcome me with open arms. The kids hug me and spend time with me, and my host Mom cries almost every time I have to leave again. They are seriously a second home to me, and knowing they are here makes staying and working here feel ok. I know I have a place to go and a family to be with that is nearby if I ever need it, and there is nothing like that kind of comfort. Last time I visited them, I broke the news that I wouldn't be spending Christmas with them. Instead, I bought them a paneton (a traditional Peruvian fruit cake eating at Christmas time) and said we should celebrate early. They decided to throw together a traditional Christmas dinner and we ate together as an entire family. The next morning, they sent me back to Lima with an entire sack of fruit (bananas, avocados, mangos and limes) that took me almost two weeks to finish! My host sister, Ericka, is finishing high school in December. When visiting them recently, I asked about her plans and she says she plans on moving to the capital city of Chiclayo, living with her grandma, and going to one of the Universities there to study technology engineering. I am so proud of her! When I asked my host Dad about it (because she would need his permission to go), he said he really hoped she could go, but it depends on their finances. I'm hoping they will pull it together, and also brain storming possible ways to help out if I can.
My last visit to my old Peruvian home also included attending one of my best friend's, Terrace's, goodbye party, called a "despedida" in Spanish. I felt so fortunate to be able to coordinate my visit in time for her good-bye bash, because she had attended mine. The ceremony was beautiful, her town threw together a big party for her in which everyone took turns giving speeches about her success and thanking her for being there. Terrace had had a strong and inspiring bond with her students, teaching them everything from environmental stewardship, sexual education, social responsibility and leadership. Terrace was my partner-in-crime for many projects, including our youth program "Iron Man/Iron Woman" and our shared, weekly radio program. Since I have left that area, Terrace became even more creative. She had re-written popular songs with lyrics about saving the environment, including themes like desertification, reforestation, and responsible waste management (aka - not polluting). At her despedida, Terrace's students sang and performed dances to each of her songs! It was beautiful and inspiring to see how she had touched her students and inspired creativity. It reminded me again why Peace Corps exists and how we can reach people and learn so much through cross-cultural exchange and integration.
Which brings me to my next point: I'm coming home for Christmas! I am flying to Kentucky, arriving Christmas Eve, and will be in Ithaca around the 28th of December. I have an entire 20 days to be in the U.S of A. before flying back to Peru for my next adventure. How did I manage to turn a 2 year service into 4?? Well, the third year seemed like an obvious choice for a buffer job between going home and leaving Peru. A perfect little introduction course into office work and city living with a touch of the Peruvian culture, language and food I had gotten used to. But as my year began to come to a close (I finish in December) I realized I was really happy here and not exactly sure what I would do if I went home. So, I asked my boss for suggestions and he said that if I found a job here in Lima (or anywhere in Peru for that matter), he would help me stay on as an extended volunteer so as to maintain my pay and health benefits. I honestly cannot think of another time in my life when someone would pretty much offer me the opportunity to create my own job, so I grabbed it. I contacted Lima NGO's that did work I was interested in, and have formed a work plan with two of them that I will be working with next year. One will be focusing on forming youth leader groups in poorer schools around Lima, trying to strengthen their leadership skill and sense of social responsibility. The other will be working to form an environmental schools network with 5 schools in Lima, having monthly themes for the school to follow (biodiversity, recycling, water, etc) and, personally, giving me an opportunity to teach a class now and then. I'm excited to get experience in the non-profit world, continue to strengthen my Spanish language skills, AND continue on as a volunteer.
I want to use my final words in this entry to thank everyone for their support while I continue to live abroad. My parents, for calling me every week and keeping my updated on what is going on with our family and friends. Also, for taking care of my dog! I never thought I would be the person that would dump their dog on their parents... but here I am, doing exactly that! To my brother and sister, who are doing so well for themselves and of whom I am exceptionally proud. To Omi, for being strong through a tough transition in her life, but continuing to offer me and our family love and support. To all of my wonderful aunts and uncles and cousins who actually read my emails! To Carol and Steve for visiting Peru last year, and possibly planning a trip to the Peruvian jungle for next summer, right? And to all my wonderful friends back home that write to me, support me and always welcome me with open arms when I do come home for visits. I really appreciate your continued communication and friendship. Those random email updates I get always brighten my days and help me feel connected with your lives, so keep them coming, please!
All my love and thanks,
-Carolyn
P.S. - Watch out Kentucky, you can expect a delicious Peruvian fruit cake for Christmas this year!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment