Thursday, September 24, 2009

Week two

Well, week two is not looking good for a couple of volunteers. La bicicleta (diarrea) struck a lot of people this week and they had to stay home puking out of both ends.... as they say. Luckily for me, I have not been the least bit sick yet... knock on wood. My family has had several volunteers and is always warning me about things like rinsing my apples off with clean water, watching out for the dogs etc. Every time I leave the house my host mom says be cautious of the dogs! But it is a challenge being cautious of all food and the water all the time. Even when I brush my teeth I use boiled or treated water from the training center because I am afraid of drinking too much unclean water.

In terms of Spanish class, it is always interesting. Yesterday we went to a nearby town on the terrifying Combis.. or little buses, and had a lesson in how to bargain in a public market. I´ll be honest, I was terrible... I didn´t even really try. I mean, who tries to bargain down the price of butter??? Anyway, it was something I never would have imagined doing in a class... how to not get ripped off because you are American. My host family had a kick out of that, because they know everyone always tries to overcharge the Gringos! Then today, we used our bargained for good to have a cooking lessons. We made Aji de gallina... which is basically chicken in a spicey, cheesy, nutey sauce with potatoes and rice. It was delicious, and my host Mom had made it the night before so I got to compare different cooking styles. MY class also made a cheese cake with strawberries. It was fun, but my teacher forgot to wash the strawberries with the clean water so she told me not to eat mine and she got to eat most of them! haha. It is really fun having active and interactive classes and working with students at my level and practicing together. I have really gotten closer with my three classmates because we spend 4 to 5 hours together everyday and are at the same level. It is great having them to talk to and laugh with.

Tonight, I am going to maybe play a bit of soccer! I´m excited, but most nervous, I don´t think I¨ll really play much because peruvians are serious about their soccer! Tomorrow, the whole training class is going to Lima and we all have to interview people around the city by ourselves... in Spanish! I´m nervous, but I figure I can make a fool of myself because I most likely wont see them again. Also, we are going to get food from an actual restaurant, which most likely consist of potatoes, rice, meat and more rice. But who knows? Maybe something exciting will happen... like vegetables!

In terms of my host family, the continue to be great. These days in the evenings they all sit around with me and laugh at all my mistakes in a loving way. My host brother teaches English at a school nearby and wants me to come to one of his classes eventually when I have time. Also, my host sister is taking me to a pool this weekend! My little 1 year old sobrina apparently continues to knock on my door when I am gone and follows me around the house when I am there. I love her to death and play with her whenever I can. The family has started calling me Tia for short, or aunty.

Anyway, I love you all and I will upload some more pictures soon! It is a bit complicated but I will work on it! I have definately taken a bunch as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment